Welcome home to Coastal Leadership Academy (CLA), a tuition-free public charter high school, where students engage in real world application, are known by name, and practice leadership skills every day.
Located in the heart of Myrtle Beach near the Market Common, CLA is open to all high school students in Horry and Georgetown Counties. Small class sizes, project-based learning, and personalized instruction are just a few things that set us apart from the rest. Students can earn over 24 hours of college credit while leaving behind the challenges that come from large school environments.
MOST TRANSFORMATIVE high school
years of history
Coastal Leadership Academy’s mission is to engage students in Project Based Learning that will improve academic achievement, critical and creative thinking, and awareness of their leadership roles in our community and environment.
Our purpose is to educate and empower students through:
- Love, support, and appreciation for their unique abilities.
- A pedagogy that nurtures courage, compassion, and personal responsibility.
- Opportunities that foster critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration.
- Easily transferable skills that encourage students to lead in a more peaceful, sustainable world.
We will provide students with purposeful experience that cultivates and honors all their capacities through:
- Developing excellent thinking tools (creative, critical, scientific, analytic, design, mathematical, logical, systems, and solutionary thinking).
- Fostering sound emotional health and effective communication skills (empathy, kindness, self-awareness, motivation for good, honesty, active listening, oratory, and writing).
- Offering time and space for demonstrating community-mindedness and pursuing personally relevant learning experiences.
We exist to redefine what a public school should look like. By demonstrating the impact a personalized environment can have on students, we hope to further empower a diverse population of young people through cooperative and collaborative teaching and learning.
The following core values are cultivated daily among all members of the learning community:
- The ability to understand, appreciate, and relate to others and their experiences.
- The understanding that everything we do and don’t do has an impact; as such, we strive to make choices that do the most good and least harm to ourselves and others, including other species and the environment.
- The act of putting compassion into practice in both our interpersonal relationships and others with whom we are connected personally and globally.
- The effort to pursue goals even in the face of obstacles and setbacks.
Positive Communication and Active Listening
The commitment to speak one’s truth, listen to others, and seek out divergent voices.
Wonder and Curiosity
Understanding the importance of these essential questions as part of daily life: Why? What if? How?
The effort to learn from and with one another and work together toward common goals.
The commitment to live according to these and other personally meaningful values to the best of our ability and live them consistently (even when no one is looking).